NY Minutes: What snow looks like upover + Joe's Giant Step



A little video of me tramping through the icy streets of NYC for my mother and father (who are sweltering in the heat of high summer Downunder). Ever wondered what it's like to walk through an icebox? Assuming you could shrink yourself down and do just that - this comes close.

One thing you gotta do - buy the right boots. This year I blew $100+ on a pair of Steve Maddens that had absolutely, positively, NO zip up the side. Why so? Step in curbside puddle wearing boots with a side zip and you'll soon know - you'll be ankle deep in water.


I believe I was on my way to a talk by übernaut Joe Kittinger (first man in space, jumped out of a balloon at 102K feet etc) hosted by Forbes Adventurer Jim Clash.  Joe appears far left, Jim's in the fawn jacket. The jump has been called, "Joe's Giant Step."

I tell you, the weather on the way over to the Madison Ave location soon became a blizzard - I felt like Scott in the Antarctic. Jim interviewed me in 2005, because I somehow convinced him that featuring a short, Asian, female untrivial pursuitist (as opposed to extreme pursuitist) would be a good thing for the average CEO reading Forbes who might think: "I can do what she did" as opposed to, "I could never do what Edmund Hilary did."

Above, a few of the Explorer's Club adventurers at the post-talk shindig at restaurant Mont Blanc.

More about this event soon ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a Junket. It's a Job - The making of my "Best Job in the World" submission

Still rolling after all these years: the Kosta Boda snowball

SuperGerd! 90 Years Young and a Double Centurion (twice)