The Handsomest Man still scrubs up well


Pictured: Cheryl Lead took this shot of the coverguy admiring his cover!

FIVE YEARS after the first edition of my book, Then Handsomest Man in Cuba, people are still somehow finding well-thumbed copies in doctor's waiting rooms (even a hostel bookshelf in Nepal!). It's gratifying to receive the occasional email from a reader who liked it - even a few who didn't. It's just been released in Germany as of 2009, thanks to my agent Peter McGuigan of Foundry Media - and I'm glad my German is rusty - I can't imagine how some of my Aussieisms like "threw a pickle in the cheesecake" came out of the Google Translator. Please ask for copies at your local bookstore - it really helps keep an author stay in the $1 bins inside the store rather than outside - soggy books are indeed sad.

Dear Lynette,

I just finished "The Handsomest Man in Cuba" and loved it, loved it, loved it!I THANK YOU for sharing such a wonderful adventure. I just wanted you to know that even after these years your book is touching the lives of those of us who somehow missed until now.

A retired school principal living in Eugene, who loves to read, cycle and travel internationally (often solo), I felt several special connections as I journeyed with you through Cuba. My own solo trip to Cuba in will occur in April and "Handsomest Man..." has peaked my anticipation. In fact, on recent trip to Denver, I left my copy on the plane and had to go online immediately online and order a replacement copy. I hope a United employee took it home and is enjoying it as much as me.

I know you are very busy but I just wanted to drop a note and express my appreciation. Joining Andrew Pham's "Catfish and Mandala," at the top of my all-time reading favorites, "The Handsomest Man in Cuba" will always hold a special place for me. Thank you Lynette.

Sincerely,
Jerry Henderson
Eugene, OR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's not a Junket. It's a Job - The making of my "Best Job in the World" submission

Still rolling after all these years: the Kosta Boda snowball

SuperGerd! 90 Years Young and a Double Centurion (twice)